What is a dental emergency?
A dental emergency is any situation that poses an immediate threat to the health of your teeth and supporting tissues. Dental emergencies are often the result of impact to the mouth, but they also can be caused by infection. To ensure the best possible outcome, any dental emergency should be evaluated by a professional immediately.
How soon should I be seen?
If you are experiencing a dental emergency, we recommend you contact your general dentist first. Your general dentist will be able to advise what your treatment options are and if necessary will refer you to us. If your dentists wants you to be seen in our office, we will can offer offer same-day emergency services for most conditions.
After Hours Emergencies:
For patients that have been already been seen in our office and are experiencing severe dental emergencies after hours, such as significant infection, pain or trauma please call our emergency number: Rochester Office Phone Number 248-656-8880, our answering service will get a hold of Dr. Bobier.
If you can’t get into your dentist’s’ office immediately, here is a list of effective home remedies to make you more comfortable while you wait for care:
- Warm water rinses for sore teeth and gums.
- Over the counter pain medication such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Ice packs applied to the outside of cheeks.
- Dental anesthetics containing benzocaine may be used as directed on the package for pain.
- Avoid overly hot and cold beverages and foods to reduce sensitivity.
- Heating pads may be used for jaw pain.
- Avoid chewing in the injured area.
- If a broken tooth has a sharp edge, cotton can be placed over it to protect soft tissues in your mouth.
We are here to help! Please contact your dentist if you have any emergency conditions.